Monday, August 18, 2008

Weekend Recap

So a lot happened this weekend in sports. Even though I have been obsessed with the Olympics, I took most of the weekend off from watching them. One of my best friends got married to the man of her dreams. I was lucky enough to be part of the wedding party. The wedding was perfect and I just want to give a quick congratulations again to Austin and Jayni. You are two of the best people I know and I wish you a lifetime of happiness and wonderful memories.

The big news in swimming and Olympics is Michael Phelps. He succeeded in his bid to win 8 gold medals. There is now a long ongoing argument as to whether he is the best Olympian ever. I don't really feel the need to weigh in on this argument. It seems to me similar to the argument over greatest quarterback ever. It can be argued forever with no clear winner. Not to downplay what he did, because he was amazing, but there have been other amazing Olympians throughout history.

Another amazing feat took place this weekend. Usain Bolt of Jamaica is now the fastest man on land. Not only did he annihilate the world record in the 100 meter dash, he slowed up in the last 20 meters to gloat. In my opinion he did it so he could just break his record again next time he runs. I mean you have to be really fast to slow down at the end of the dash and still blow away the competition.

Right now the Americans are leading in the medal count and a lot of that is because of the US swim team. Peirsol, Lochte, Coughlin and Soni also deserve a credit. They all won individual golds. Phelps is not the only person on the team. All of them except Coughlin, set world records while winning their medals. All of these athletes have had amazing performances and deserve recognition in their own right. This Olympics should not only be about one man.

An American woman, Nastia Liukin, won the all around gold in women's gymnastics. It's nice to know that we can beat the Chinese occasionally. She also has managed to steal the spotlight from Shawn Johnson, who came into these games as the America's Sweetheart heir apparent. But the little pixie hasn't quite managed that so far. Instead, the long legged blonde has usurped the crown.

There have been many other amazing performances this weekend. But I'm coming down with a cold so I'll try to talk about them eventually. But for right now, I'm headed back to bed. Congratulations to all the athletes competing and representing the United States.

0 comments: