Thursday, November 6, 2008

Not So Fantasy Thursday


Now I like football as much as the next girl, well, maybe more, but I don't really like NFL games on Thursday nights. Besides the fact that the games are on a channel that no one gets, I almost feel like it's too much football. I know, this sounds like crazy talk. How can one have too much football? I'm not exactly sure, but I think the answer is by having Thursday night NFL games.

Now, I'm perfectly happy with Thursday night college football games. In fact, I love those. (This might have something to do with Maryland playing Virginia Tech tonight.) But Thursday seems to early in the week to have NFL games. It gives team an extremely short week unless they are playing after a bye. And as a result I think the football viewers suffer.

The NFL already has all day Sunday and Monday night. Do they really need Thursdays as well. I like to spend my Thursdays either watching college football or Grey's Anatomy. Whatever, you know you've watched it too. Now I'm expected to go to a bar and try to watch some NFL game just so I have an idea whats going on because it's a nationally televised game and therefore a big deal? Boo to that.

The other problem is that Thursday night games are terrible for fantasy football. I now have to remember to make my picks before Sunday morning. I guess I can deal with that, but I also like to play around with my fantasy roster all week. What can I say, I have a few mediocre wide receivers, and I usually decide to go with my gut at the last minute. Now I'm being forced to commit to a few players by Thursday. What if I want to pick up someone off waivers only to find out they've already played? I don't like this at all.

This week its not a big deal. Jay Cutler is my starting quarterback and that's not likely to change. But what happens when I have someone who I decided not to play or totally forgot about and has a huge week. I have to stare at that stat for a few days and have it eat away at my confidence.

One plus, is this week I have my quarterback starting on Thursday and my opponent has no one. So I get to be in the lead for at least two and a half days. Which will be nice, but could easily come back and bite me in the ass. Also, I get annoyed having to wait until Monday night for a winner to be decided. This is just going to be worse.

Fantasy participation is up over the last few years. Again I have no stats for this but I feel like everyone I know now has a fantasy team. This was not the case a few years ago. So I'm going with my observations. And I have to believe that as a corollary, people are paying more attention to football. Now I'm not saying the NFL should base its schedule on fantasy owners. But a lot of these owners are fans. And the NFL should schedule games around the fans preferences. And I'm not sure most fans want Thursday football. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's just me.

I know that no one wants to hear about anyone else's fantasy team. But this complaint is a fantasy team owner complaint, not so much about my actual team. So thank you for listening to my little rant. Let's leave Thursday football to the NCAA.

GO TERPS

0 comments: