Friday, February 20, 2009

Hope for the O's


I'm starting to get excited for the beginning of baseball season. For the first time in a long time I have hope of a winning season. Not a playoff team, don't be crazy, but a solid team that finishes around .500. Last season, I worried the Orioles would struggle to win 50 games, this year, I'm very hopeful.

The O's just signed Brian Roberts to a 4 year contract extension which should quell the trade rumors and lock him up for a long time. Hopefully, he will continue to be a productive second baseman and a team leader. He's one of the faces of our franchise now and I'm glad to see him staying in Baltimore.

The team has a lot of potential this year. There are a lot of young pitchers who are going to try and prove they can be legitimate options. There is also an experienced bullpen filled with long relievers. There will be a lot of shuffling in the rotation as the season progresses, but I think it will work out ok. And for the first time in a while I feel like the Orioles have prospects in the Minors. Yes, prospects. Some of which should come to fruition this season.

Matt Wieters, a great draft pick looks like he will be ready to play this season. The Orioles signed veteran Gregg Zaun to help ease the transition. Andy McPhail has been making smart move after smart move and hopefully his hard work will pay off this season.

I love the time before the season starts when you can hope for a different outcome. It's been a while since I've really felt the O's were turning around. It feels really good.

Photo: http://www.bleachernation.com/

0 comments: