Thursday, October 16, 2008

Why Can't Us?


There's something about these Phillies fans that is overwhelmingly entertaining to me. They qualified for the World Series and still there not cocky. My friend wanted a NLCS sweatshirt even before they won "just to prove they were in the playoffs in his lifetime." Now, that they've won, I wondered if he wanted a World Series sweatshirt, not just a NLCS champion one. His response, "Don't be ridiculous, you're going to jinx us." Even though they soundly beat the Dodgers and are playing great ball, there's still a cautious feeling about the World Series.

Don't get me wrong, the city is the happiest I've ever seen it. The sound of cheering filled the night last night and the celebrations went on til the early hours of the morning. But this isn't like Boston where even though they're down 3-1 in the ALCS, they still think they're going to come back and not just go to the World Series, but win it. Phillies fans know what heartbreak feels like. And while they are giving their whole hearts to their team, they're not still not really sure it's going to work out. They're wishing and hoping and praying, but not bragging. I admire that.

So congratulations Philadelphia. It's been a long time but if any Philly team deserves to make it to the big stage it's the Phillies. And I wish you hopeful, grammatically challenged fans the best.
Maybe this really is the year Philadelphia breaks their curse.

On a slightly unrelated note, I think the entire city of Philadelphia smells like cheese steaks right now. I swear to god, I live on the 18th floor of my building and my apartment right now smells like I have 10 cheesesteaks sitting on my table. The odor of cheesesteak is wafting in my window. I think this is a good sign for the Phils.

After soundly defeating the Dodgers 3-1 in the series and clinching it with a decisive 5-1 win by NLCS MVP Cole Hamels yesterday, the Phils are well situated for this series. They've shown that their pitchers can stay calm not get flustered by even big hitters like Manny. Yeah, he had a lot of hits, but he really didn't get to score that often. They were able to neutralize him as a threat. That should serve them well in the World Series.

The Phils also had solid production from their line up. Everyone on the team seemed to come up with big hits at the most opportune time. Whether it was Matt Stairs with the two run homer to take the lead in game four or Jimmy Rollins homering to start off game five. Everyone played a part. And that team mentality is important. I think Pat Burrell might have even smiled. Though I can't confirm that.

Right now the Rays are leading the Red Sox 5-0 in the fifth, so it looks like there will be a World Series of two underdog teams. I can't wait.

0 comments: